The Trevor Project has created a resource to assist people in becoming allies to transgender and non-binary youth.
The Trevor Project has created a guide for people working with transgender and non-binary youth.
The guide includes:
- The difference between sex and gender
- Basics of gender — identity, expression, and perception
- Forms of address that show respect (names, pronouns, honorifics)
- Helpful tips to increase understanding
- Common mistakes and what to do if you’ve made one
We suggest reading the guide and reflecting on your teaching practice would address:
- 1.1.2 (1.1 for ACT) of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers - "Use teaching strategies based on knowledge of students' physical, social and intellectual development and characteristics to improve student learning."